Wednesday, July 31, 2013

J'ai 32 ans

Happy Birthday to me! Having a mid-summer birthday allows you to do a mid-year reflection on life. My life is good. No, my life is great. Frustrating and sometimes hard but wonderful and full of adventure. This year has been nothing less than epic. Really. It's the only word that applies. One year ago I was camping with two friends and was totally disconnected from technology. I was reading a book called "Why French Women Don't Get Fat" and had just finished a book called "A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle. This year after living in Georgia, roadtripping there and back, visiting seven countries in Europe and meeting tons of new people, I am LIVING in France...in Provence no less and eating with French people. It's amazing how far a year can take you.

It's been a good day. My boss made a point of making sure that everyone knew it was my birthday and celebrating it. After watching "Sixteen Candles" the other day, you can't really ask for anything more ;) All three of the little kids lined up this morning to give me a kiss and wish me a happy birthday (seriously heart melting) and before dinner we had champagne (which we usually only have when guests are around). My boss also gave me a Swatch watch (!!!) and we had chocolate hazelnut mouse cake for dessert with 3+2 candles and two sparklers. The pictures are on his camera. Hopefully they worked and I can share them.

This coming year will be full of it's own adventures. I don't know yet what they will be but I'm excited for them. Getting older doesn't bother me because it means I get to experience so much more. My life is far from what I thought it would be ten, or twenty years ago but it is so much more full. So happy birthday to me.

No comments: