Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude V3#15 - The Ability to Read

I am absolutely swamped with required readings and papers right now. I have two novels that I have to do book reports on, on top of all my regular readings. I'm reading whenever I have more than two minutes strung together. In between classes, before bed, while I'm eating breakfast, on the bus, during my 15 minute break at work. You name it. I've finished one of the books and I'm halfway through the second one. My regular readings have to slide a bit this week because there just aren't enough hours in the day. So here I am, not complaining, but commenting on the sheer volume I have to read and a few classes ago in Geography, my prof was lecturing on literacy levels and the amount of people in the world who CAN'T read. I don't have time to look up the stats right now but it's a significant amount. Can't read at all. That boggles my mind. I am such a voracious reader that I can't even fathom NOT being ABLE to read.

Today, I am thankful for the ability to read, to comprehend, to write, and to not go crazy while doing it!!! (hopefully)

1 comment:

Martha said...

yes, can you imagine living in my country or yours, and not being able to read? and the sad/startling reality is that way too many people are illiterate. Working in a school, I see it. Not sure of the how it happens, why it happens...but it sure is happening.

And what a blessing it is that not only can you read, but you enjoy reading!