Friday, April 23, 2010

Ontario is the goal

I’ve been meaning to blog this for awhile. Let’s see if I can capture it all in one entry.

I’m moving to Ontario and I’m going to school when I get there. I have some savings but the fact is, I will be applying for student loans to finance my education (and scholarships and bursaries of course). I also plan on working part time, hopefully at Starbucks. I’m fully aware that this may not be a sustainable plan. My dad was asking about the financial aspect of me moving the other day and I reminded him (and I’m blogging this to remind ME) that Ontario is the goal. Not school.

School will be nice. It will be fun. It will facilitate my future plans and help me get a job in the field I want to work in but if I get there and realize it’s just not working, I have no problem either pulling back and decreasing my course load, or quitting altogether in favour of full time work. And I’m not concerned about GETTING work. I have extremely marketable and transferable skills. I’ve been working for 11 years in an administrative capacity. I’m moving very close to Mississauga, ON where practically everything in Canada is manufactured. Even with the economic downturn I am very confident that I could get a “regular” job quite easily. It’s not what I WANT to do but I’ll do it if that’s what is required.

If you go back in my blog you’ll see that “Ontario” came up WAY before I even started thinking about school. I first blogged about moving in May 2007 and I had been thinking about it for probably two years before that. I didn’t mention “school” until August 2009!

I find it easier to explain to people that I’m moving across the country to go to school than moving across the country because I want to. Still, the bottom line is, I want to. Ontario is the goal because of the list of things it represents and allows me to access. School’s just gravy.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

Goals are very good things. Especially realistic goals - and yours sounds very realistic. You can do this! Can you believe how fast this is all happening?