Thursday, November 12, 2009

About three things I am absolutely positive

First, I don’t like vampires. I don’t like the idea of them, or reading about them or hearing about them at all (and it’s not because I’m “scared”. I just don’t like fantasy, The witches and warlocks in Harry Potter are bad enough.)

Second, Stephanie Meyer is an incredible author and I only wish I could turn my dreams into multi-million dollar franchises like she has done. (Cause I have to admit, I’ve had some pretty cool dreams).

And third, I, like half the female teenage population of the world (and a lot of the non-teenage population) am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with Edward.

There. I’ve confessed it and it’s out in the open. Admitting you have a problem is the first step right? :)

But you know what? I’m not sorry. I’m not sorry that I’m a hypocritical Twilight fan because I simultaneously do not approve of vampires and fantasy yet I LOVE these books (and yes, to everyone who said “I told you so” you were right). I’m not sorry that I have a school girl crush on a character in a book and an actor.

In fact, on some level I am thankful for the Twilight Saga. It’s fun to be caught up in something and to have something in common with others. No, not everyone “gets it”, but there are enough that it’s fun to share. From my second cousin who’s younger than me and right in the Twilight target age group, to my bookkeeper who’s older than me and planning a Twilight birthday party for…herself. It’s fun to swoon with these people and share our mutual love for these characters. After all, that’s what good literature is all about. Vampires or not. And for that, I am grateful.

No comments: