Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Countdown Begins

So my Countdown to Ontario has officially started. I don’t know when because I don’t know exactly when I’ll leave but I know that by this time next year, I’ll be in Ontario. That means that pretty much everything that happens from here on is for the last time. The last Labour Day weekend in BC. The last Thanksgiving, last Christmas, etc.

Now that it’s September the information for applying to school in Ontario is officially up as well and I can start to study it and figure out if that is what I actually want to do. And what it will take to make that a reality. It’s exciting and scary all at the same time.

Ontario has a central application system where you can apply to up to three universities at once. I’ve narrowed down my choices geographically (based on the area I want to live when I move). Next step is to decide on what program I want to apply for. I expect it will be some sort of Arts degree. I’m interested in History specifically but languages, literature and geography are also up there. The biggest problem is that I’m still not convinced that there’s actually career opportunities in those fields. Or, I think there are, but I can’t name them and that makes me nervous. The biggest thing is that I don’t want to be a teacher. Not in the traditional institution sense anyways. I’d be okay with “teaching” in some other capacity (at a museum or historic site) but not in a classroom.

So, still lots of questions but I feel like I’m ready to start answering them.

1 comment:

Veronica said...

You know, if you think you'd like to work in a museum, maybe you should find out from them what they are looking for...might help to narrow down the class choices.