Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Turkey & Salmon: A Thanksgiving Recap

Good news. The pictures are uploading right now. When I have them in front of me I'll be able to recap the rest of my DC/VA/PA trip better.

In the meantime, while it's fresh, I'll talk about Thanksgiving.

It was rather unorthodox but it worked really well.

Oh, first going back to Saturday. I did attend the card class at Treasury of Memories. 30 cards for $30 in honour of National Card Making Day. It took me 90 minutes to get across the border which made me about an hour late (didn't plan that one too well did I?) but it worked out fine and I'm really glad I got to go. There were a lot of Canadians down there. The class ended up running about two hours overtime, but no one was surprised. I only had to finish one card at home too.

On to Sunday. Seth had taken the bus up to Robert's on Saturday so Sunday after church Mom, Dad, Aaron and I loaded up the van. We took all our overnight stuff, cooked turkey and stuffing and raw veggies, pototatoes and four, yes FOUR different desserts. FOUR!!! Anyways, we got to the hotel in really good time. While Dad and the boys watched the hockey game (remember, this is Canadian Thanksgiving, no football for us!) Mom finished cooking our meal (with help from myself and others). we ate around 6. Robert and Aaron sat on the end of one of the beds and Mom, Dad, Seth and I got chairs. We just had a small table and as we served each dish we put it on the cooler or the counter for safe keeping. The food was yummy but spending time with family is what really matters.

After dinner Aaron and I ran to Walmart for some games. I had meant to grab them from Mom's but I forgot. It's not a huge deal because I've wanted to get my own set. Uno for $6 bucks, SkipBo for $10, a deck of cards and five dice and we were set. We ended up sitting around and playing games and eating dessert until almost midnight. We also succeeded in laughing ourselves silly. Fun times :)

Monday we drove up to see the Adams River Sockeye Salmon Run. This is a peak year (every fourth year) and the river was full of salmon getting ready to spawn. It was fascinating. We saw it when we were all really little. (Exactly when is still under debate) but it was neat to see it again. I did get some really neat pictures. We'll see if blogger will let me upload them. If not I'll figure out a different way to share them.

Today I'm back at work. This morning the first time I looked at the clock it was 12:23!!! I normally take lunch at 11:30 so that was crazy. If this whole week goes this fast I won't be sad :)

Have a great week!

~Heidi

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Oooooh! I can't wait to see the salmon pics - sounds fascinating. Wish I could have seen something like that ;)

Sounds like you had a perfect T-day. Being toegther is all that counts, right?

Janis said...

Sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving! My brother came over here and I actually cooked a turkey dinner!